Online Educational Specialist Degree
An Education Specialist degree (Ed.S degree program) is an advanced study option for people who already have a master’s degree in teaching. It is intended for teachers, administrators, supervisors, and counselors in K-12 schools (i.e., elementary and secondary schools).
Common areas in Ed.S degrees are:
- School Psychology
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Special Education
To graduate with an Ed.S degree you need anywhere from 30 to 45 credit hours depending on the college or university you enroll in, whether it is an online university or campus program.
The graduate education degree program and other Ed.S education program specializations are an intermediate degree between a master’s degree and a doctorate (EdD) or a doctor of philosophy in education (PhD), and are ideal for educators who want advanced certification and career advancement beyond the master’s degree. Some PhD programs will allow students to transfer a number of credits. So if you wish to pursue advanced studies in teaching, it is highly recommended that you plan for an Educational Specialist degree today.
Benefits of pursuing the course online:
- It offers a wide range of options, you are sure to find one that suits your needs.
- You will enjoy greater scheduling flexibility with the online classes, as you can learn from home, classroom, or even a local coffee shop.
- Most online degree programs can be completed at your own pace, one class at a time. Also, you can utilize the accelerated online tracks if you wish to speed up your learning process.
- If you want to become a school psychologist/counselor or if educational leadership is your calling, an online educational specialist degree will be your minimum preparation requirement in many states.
The work of an educator upon attaining Ed.S training includes working as a school psychologist or school counselor, or working in school and educational leadership. They can also work as instructors at two-year and junior colleges. Other areas of practice with an online educational specialist degree are Educational Technology and Educational Leadership. The median salary for teachers with an online education specialist degree in the United States is about $60,000. The salary, depending on the specialization and employer, could be anywhere from $48,000 to $84,000. Job opportunities are enormous for secondary and high school teachers, particularly in subjects such as mathematics and science.
Apart from offering promising job prospects, an Educational Specialist degree will help an individual to have a career that is more than just ordinary. So consider the advantages of furthering your career in education by pursuing an online Education Specialist degree and choose the online degree that suits you best from the list of courses offered by various accredited universities across the United States. The respective college or university will assist you in making sure that the Education Specialist degree program you choose is the best choice for your educational and career goals.
Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics